Mississippi River tributaries: Ohio R, Tenn R, Missouri R, Ark R, Red R, a photo by trudeau on Flickr.
A slow-moving internet: the Mississippi River and tributaries
1. Name the 5 states that lie adjacent to and west of the Miss. Their initials are MIMAL.
2. Name the 5 states that lie east of the Miss. Initials: WIKTM.
3. The Mississippi R. is the second longest in the US. Even longer is the Missouri. Name 2 states associated with the Missouri.
Choose from Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri.
4. The state in which the Mississippi begins its course: __. Minnesota.
5. The Miss. R. is connected to the Great lakes. T / F It is not connected by the natural course of the Mississippi. A canal called the Illinois Waterway was created to make a man-made connection.
6. The longest tributary on the east is the Ohio R. Name 2 additional states through which it passes. Choose fromPennsylvania, Ohio, West Virginia, Kentucky, Indiana, Illinois.
7. Name the 5 Great Lakes of the US, giving their names as read from left to right. Superior, Michigan, Huron, Erie Ontario.
8. Which tributary has its headwaters in Montana? Missouri R.
9. Which is more northerly, Memphis or St Louis? St Louis.
10. Which tributary begins in Texas? the Red River.
11. What is the significance of the Miss Valley? Recreation, waste disposal, water supply, fishing, grain export, petro-chemical exports and manufacturing exports are among the ways the Mississippi enriches the US.
12. Why is it like a slow-moving internet? Because it is a conduit for information, goods and services and profit.