Bayou Pierre Fauna
1. Riverine tree that is one of the tallest and largest American hardwoods: __ . a) Cottonwood b) Hackberry c) Sycamore d) Dogwood.
2. Tall tree with wide, indented leaves and whose bark peels: __ .
a) Cottonwood b) Hackberry c) Sycamore d) Dogwood.
3. Fast-growing, tall bottomland oak that is very important to wildlife in North Louisiana: __ oak .
a) Live b) Water c) Pine d) River.
4. This tree has a long history, a medicinal bark and roots are so widespread it is important in bioengineering.
a) Cottonwood b) Hackberry c) Sycamore d) Willow.
5. This tree produces woody projections that rise above the water or the ground in the vicinity of the tree. __ . a) Cottonwood b) Hackberry c) Sycamore d) Cypress.
6. Wine, jelly and a tart pie filling can be made from the __ grape of North Louisiana. a) Rattan b) Redbud c) Muscadine d) Virginia Creeper.
7. If this hairy vine isn't the three-leafed Poison Ivy it must be the __ . a) Rattan b) Redbud c) Virginia Creeper d) Sycamore.
8. Louisiana is known as a state with a rich bird life because the state lies in the flyway between Canada and the sea known as the __ _ __ .
9. The type of dirt called loam occurs when ____ , sand and silt occur in a mixed soil.
10. Riparian land is the zone along a ___ . a) waterway b) aquifer c) conservation region d) region of ripening fruits.
11. Acetylsalicylic acid: a) Cypress b) Willow c) Sycamore d) Pecan.
12. The highest-reaching trees of the Coates Bluff area include Sycamore and Cottonwood. They are called
__ trees. a) medicinal b) loam c) riverine d) canopy.
13. Which one of these does not typically grow in the riparian zone? a) Water oak b) Willow c) Hickory d) Hackberry.
14. This widespread tree is helpful for many but considered a noxious invader by those who want to avoid a monoculture and insure biodiversity. It is the Chinese __ .
a) Candle b) Fruit c) Tallow d) Redbud.
Sunday, November 11, 2012
Bayou Pierre fauna quiz
Bayou Pierre Fauna