Swing Kids review / Trudeau
1. This movie is set in the city of a) Hamburg b) Munich c) Berlin d) Amsterdam.
2. The movie takes place some 6 years after Hitler took power as Chancellor, or a) 1933 b) 1939 c) 1941.
3. The American music and slang treasured by the swing kids originates mostly in
a) Brooklyn b) Harlem c) the Bronx d) Lower East Side.
4. German swing kids favored a clothing style reflective of __ style. a) American
b) British c) Dutch d) German.
5. In the 1930’s there was a new style in jazz groups: a) small combos b) big horn sections c) an electric guitar alongside the bass.
6. Hitler’s regime is referred to as the a) Blitz b) Reich c) Rotterdam d) Seig.
7. In the 1930's German authorities have banned American __ if they were created by Negroes or Jews. a) books b) records c) art d) all the above.
8. Peter Muller has lost his father through Nazi imprisonment. Was the father Jewish? Y / N
9. The father of Thomas Berger, a physician, is taken away by authorities; basically he would be accused of a) protecting Jews b) avoiding military service c) treason d) favoring the Communists.
10. Thomas Berger informs the SS about people not loyal to the Nazis. He is thus a valued member of the a) Swing kids b) Hitler Youth c) University students d) Nazi party.
11. Arvid is a jazz guitarist who is reminsicent of the Belgian gypsy guitar player named a) Benny Goodman b) Gene Krupa c) Django Reinhardt d) Duke Ellington.
12. Peter Muller is disappointed in his mother for her response to the Nazis. Her attitude is one of a) defiance b) compliance c) despair d) neutrality.
13. The smooth, seemingly helpful Herr Knopp is a member of the Nazi secret police, or the a) Panzers b) Blitzkrieg c) Gestapo d) SS, or Schutzstaffel.
14. Peter works as a delivery boy for Herr Schumler. “Herr” means a) store owner b) Mr. c) Professor.
15. In the jazz world a blindfold quiz is one in which you must name the a) musicians b) lyrics c) feeling that you get when you hear the record.
16. Jazz was born about 1900 in the city of a) Chicago b) New Orleans c) NYC.
17. Name a jazz composer who was also a pianist: a) Duke Ellington b) Louis Armstrong c) Antonio Vivaldi d) Cab Calloway.
18. Exercise and athletic competition in the German mountainside as well as bonuses like a motorbike were strategies used by the a) universities b) Hitler Youth c) jazz clubs d) Communists.
19. The Nazis were effective at building a type of super-patriotism. To convince the youth of the Nazi point of view they used exaggeration and fabrications. This is called a) propaganda b) advertising c) nationalism d) enthusiasm.
20. The National Socialist German Worker’s Party, the Nazis, was not at all a) socialist b) German c) national d) a party.
21. Hitler demanded a cheap auto design from a) Mercedes b) Porsche c) Audi d) BMW.
22. A former swing kid named Emil says "I just wised up." He meant that he joined the HJ, Hitler Jugend, to a) disguise his rebellion against the authorities b) have a better life through cooperation with the authorities.
23. "We just play along. We get whatever we want." This form of complicity with the Nazis was the theme of a) Peter Muller b) Thomas Berger c) Arvid Hitmann d) Mrs. Muller.
24. "You think that just because you're not murdering people yourself that you're not part of it? Well, I refuse to do my part." a) Peter Muller b) Thomas Berger c) Arvid Hitmann d) Mrs. Muller.
25. "You've got to go along; make the best of things. We're not in charge. We can't really know what's going on." a) Peter Muller b) Thomas Berger c) Arvid Hitmann d) Mrs. Muller.
26. "Outside the doors of sensible Germans all they hear is Hitler's voice of hate." a) Peter Muller b) Thomas Berger c) Arvid Hitmann d) Mr. Muller, Peter's father.
27. The word for Jew in the German language, or Deutsch: a) Yehudi b) Ebreo c) Juif d) Juden.
28. Following the Holocaust of the 1940's, many of the surviving European Jews migrated to a) Palestine b) Judaea c) Israel d) Syria.
Sunday, December 09, 2012
Swing Kids: a movie about German kids who loved jazz, swing dancing and Harlem, USA
Swing Kids review / Trudeau