Thursday, April 29, 2010
A quiz on the Odyssey of a Chinese Teen in Not One Less
1. The film addresses the ______ gap between urban and rural populations. a) cultural b) economic c) legislative d) language.
2. Given the following bureaucrats: the Mayor, the brick factory manager, the clerk at the TV station, the TV station manager and the restaurant manager, we should conclude that the movie's director sees bureaucrats as mostly negative forces. T / F
3. The film primarily addresses this issue: a) history of China b) poverty in China c) rural education d) difficulty of life in the cities.
4. Which one of these characters is not battling the drop-out problem? a) Teacher Gao b) the Mayor c) Teacher Wei d) Zhang Huike.
5. Which one of these characters seems to provide a sense of balance and moderation? a) Teacher Gao b) the Mayor c) Teacher Wei d) Zhang Huike.
6. Which one of these characters is the most frugal? a) Teacher Gao b) the Mayor c) Teacher Wei d) Zhang Huike.
7. Which one of these characters shows heroic obstinacy? a) Teacher Gao b) the Mayor c) Teacher Wei d) Zhang Huike.
8. Shuixian School is located near the city of a) Hong Kong b) Xi’an c) Beijing d) Shanghai.
9. Is the mass media portrayed as a benign or a destructive force in China? The movie seems to say the news media is a) positive b) negative c) not a major factor.
10. A symbol of pride in learning and in the efficient use of resources in the school is: a) sending swift runner of the class to the sports specialty school b) flag c) chalk d) singing the anthem in an orderly formation.
11. "Keeping kids in school is harder than teaching them." Quote from a) the Mayor b) Substitute Wei c) Teacher Gao d) Zhang Huike.
12. Concerns about _____ dominate most of the characters and much of the film. a) ethics b) honor c) culture d) money.