1. Hindi greeting: a) Namaste’ b) Ni hau c) Moshimoshi d) Salaam aleikum e) Shalom f) Yo.
2. Hindi is the culture and religion, Hindu is the language. T / F
3. According to the RMQRWA, India’s population is about a) 999 million b) 1.1 billion c) 1.53 billion d) 2.53 billion.
4. People who study populations and make predictions about population changes: a) anthropologists b) demographers c) historians d) graphologists.
5. Civilization in Central Asia began in the __ river basin, according to World Book. a) Indus b) Ganges c) Nile d) Tigris & Euphrates.
6. Mt. Everest lies on the borders of a) Nepal & China b) India & China c) China & Tibet.
7. Which has a greater metropolitan population? a) Mumbai b) Kolkata c) New York City d) Beijing
8. Sanskrit, Bengali, Gujarati, Kashmiri and Punjabi are __. a) regions b) languages c) types of cuisine d) Hindu gods.
9. India has approximately half the land area of the US but more than 3 times the US’ population.
T / F
10. The 2 principal religions of India: a) Christianity, Islam b) Islam, Hindu c) Hindu, Jewish
d) Hindu, Christian e) Sikhs, Hindus.
11. The famous spice mixture of Indian cooking: a) curry b) tandoori c) yogurt d) chili powder.
12. Not one of the three Islamic nations on our current map: a) Bangladesh b) Pakistan c) Afghanistan d) Nepal.
13. The historic name for Mumbai: __ a) Calcutta b) Kolkata c) Ceylon d) Bombay e) Agra.
14. The multi-stringed instrument that gives a signature sound to the music of India: a) oud b) sitar c) tambourine d) bindi e) harmonium.
15. Some 60 years ago India was partitioned so that Muslims would have a home away from the antagonistic Hindus. Today the formerly Indian Muslims primarily live in Pakistan or China. T / F
16. “Going to a movie tonight? Put a garland of jasmine round your neck and a __ on your forehead.” a) samsara b) ganesh c) bindi d) sitar.
17. The science behind an understanding of the Himalayas: a) vulcanology
b) demography c) plate tectonics d) archaeology.
18. Pakistan, Bangladesh, Afghanistan: a) Star & crescent b) Om
c) mandala d) swastika.
19. Associated with Hindu weddings: a) guru b) Shah Jahan
c) henna d) curry e) Delhi.
20. Cumin, cardamom, coriander, fenugreek, mace, dill: a) henna b) Lord Ganesh c) curry d) bindi.
21. Hinduism is the world’s __ religion. a) oldest b) most populous
c) least Christian d) most diffused (spread out).
22. Significant Hindu populations are found in a) Mexico, Cuba, Bahamas
b) Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iran c) Singapore, Fiji, Trinidad.
23. Dharma is about ethics and duties, while Karma is about action and subsequent reaction.
T / F
24. The most powerful cosmic spirit: a) Brahman b) Krishna c) Shiva d) Ganesh.
25. At a shrine or temple a Hindu may perform devotions called a) samsara b) puja c) om d) mantras.
26. Sitting with legs crossed and pulled up and partly into the lap:
a) Krishna’s feet b) Mandala c) Om d) lotus.
27. Sanskrit / Hindi word for “to yoke” or “to unite:”
a) mantra b) mandala c) yoga d) pranayama.
1. a Namaste
3. b 1.1 B
4. b demographers
5. a Indus
6. a Nepal & China
7. a Mumbai
8. b languages
10. b Islam, Hindu
11. a curry
12. d Nepal
13. d Bombay
14. b sitar
16. c bindi
17. c plate tectonics
18. a star & crescent
19. c henna
20. c curry
21. a oldest
22. c Singapore, etc
24. a Brahman
25. b puja
26. d lotus
27. c yoga