Originally uploaded by caitiri_lt.
2. An island that bridges the continents of Europe and Africa?
3. North African nation that lies closest to Italy?
4. Roman name for Hellas?
5. Sea that separates Greece and Asia Minor?
6. The mare nostrum is what the Romans called this sea: "Our sea!" They owned the lands all round its rim. The sea?
7. Which was the earlier high culture? Greece or Rome?
8. In a city laid out by the Roman plan there was an open square around which were the markets, public buildings and temples of the city center. The name for this rectangular meeting area?
9. In many ways Roman society was determinedly moral and ethical. In one area of public life we see, however, a wild variation from moral balance. In what activity or area was this?
10. The sea that lies between Italy and Slovenia, between Italy and Albania & Greece?
11. Type of Greek column that is most elaborate and most favored by the Romans?
12. City named for a powerful female in the pre-Christian era?
13. Roman god of war?
14. Narrow neck of land connecting larger bodies of land, such as at Corinth, Greece?
15. Phoenicia: was it today's lebanon and Israel or Libya?
16. Which of these statements is true? a) Celts were Gauls. b) Gauls were Celts..
17. At its peak of empire Rome’s population was about a) 50,000
b) 500,000 c) 1 million.
18. Citizen of Rome was a title that conferred civil privileges. Only residents of Rome, however, could obtain that title. T / F
19. The Romans developed a) iron b) steel c) marble d) concrete.
20. The Roman villa was built around an unroofed, open center called an
a) atrium b) garden c) arbor d) pedestal.
4. Graecia (Greece)
9. colosseum battles; gladiatorial contests
12. Athens / Athena
13. Mars / see March
17. c) 1 million
19. d) concrete
20. a/ atrium
David Macaulay on how we might see the savage entertainment of Roman colosseums:
a) ritual killing as a way of maintaining order.
b) product of a militaristic society.
c) accomodation of death & dying.
* baklava: 15 pts. when made by student and parent.
* tzatziki sauce
* pita bread
* herbed fried potatos
Write about what you learn about Greece by eating at Yeero-Yeero and/ or Athenian Delights.