Tuesday, April 28, 2009
Climate change review: 10 questions
a) US b) China c) Russia d) Japan.
2. The huge amounts of energy and heat needed to produce __ make this commodity one of the major factors in climate change: a) cement b) steel c) beef d) aluminum.
3. The earth’s population is currently estimated at a) 300 billion b) 600 billion c) 6.5 trillion d) 6.5 billion.
4. In Asia the natural water towers - storing vast water supplies during the wet season and meting it out during the dry season - are the Himalaya’s a) mountain peaks
b) glaciers c) terrain d) rivers.
5. Current climate change trends indicate that sea levels will be a) rising b) falling c) stormy d) carbon dioxide.
6. America’s electrical power grid is primarily supplied by the force of a) coal b) hydroelectric c) petroleum d) solar and wind.
7. The Global Climate Coalition, a group representing industries with profits tied to fossil fuels such as the oil, coal and auto industries, led a public relations campaign against the idea that heat-trapping gases could lead to global warming. T / F
8. Abbreviated rice harvests, aquifers spolied by seawater and islands subsiding below oceans: __ __ will be among the regions worst affected by global warming, say experts quoted by the NY Times. a) Southwest Asia b) Southeast Asia c) South America d) Southern Africa.
9. Not among the rivers fed by the glaciers of the Himalayan range: a) Ganges b) Yangtze c) Amazon
10. This nation’s population will continue to grow so rapidly that by 2030 it will be called the world’s most populous nation: a) India b) China c) Indonesia d) Africa.