Tuesday, April 21, 2009
Review quiz on Nihon, or Cipangu
1. During the colonial era in Europe, the nation of Japan was called a) Cathay b) Cipangu.
2. Japan has a heterogeneous population. T / F
3. Japan’s population is approximately half that of the US.
T / F
4. Hayao Miyazaki is notable for the type of movies called __.
5. “Empty orchestra” is the meaning of a term coined by the Japanese in the 70’s when technology allowed creative manipulation of recorded works. It has since become a world-wide source of entertainment. It is __.
6. Most Japanese are able to integrate 2 types of religious practice into their lives: a) Buddhism b) Hinduism
c) Islam d) Christianity e) Judaism f) Shintoism
g) Confucianism h) Atheism.
7. In terms of altitude, Mt Fuji can be compared to the
a) Appalachians b) Rocky Mtns.
8. Some people, typically the ill-educated, may be said to be fearful of immigrants and other non-native ethnic types. They may be termed xenophobic. T / F
9. Bamboo and paper, classic ingredients in Japanese art, may be used to make large, rectangular aero forms called __ .
10. Anime has been part of Japanese culture since 1917. In 1937 Japanese anime movie-makers were influenced by a Disney film called a) Snow White b) 101 Dalmatians
c) The Jungle Book.
11. Japanese greeting: a) Ni hau! b) Salaam! c) Namaste'!
d) Konichi wa!