Saturday, March 15, 2008
Notes on African music
1. djembe, goblet-shaped drum.
2. dun-dun or tama or talking drum.
3. mbira, sansa, kalimba: thumb piano.
4. shekere, the gourd shaker with net skirt.
5. gong-gong, the double bells.
6. kora, the gourd-bodied harp-like instrument of the griot, or bard.
7. nyere, one of the African flutes.
8. marimba, balofon: the wooden, gourd-resonated xylophone.
Babatunde Olatunji, the Nigerian master drummer who came to NYC in the 60's to teach musicians the intricacies of African drumming.