winter / snow / architecture / red / yoshida shrine, kyoto japan, a photo by momoyama on Flickr.
1. Based on its ethnic demographics, Japan may be called heterogeneous. T / F
2. a) Hayao Miyazaki b) Osamu Tezuko c) Soichiro Honda has been called the Father of both Anime and of Manga.
3. The principal origin of the big eyes employed in most Japanese manga: a) Keene b) Disney c) biological studies d) Hollywood.
4. Which part of Tokyo is similar to Times Square?
a) Harajuku b) Ginza c) Geisha d) Sushi.
5. In Japanese, karaoke means “empty __ .”
a) room b) microphone c) orchestra d) head.
6. Most Japanese are able to integrate 2 types of religious practice into their lives: a) Hindusim b) Buddhism
c) Islam d) Christianity e) Judaism f) Confucianism g) Shintoism h) Atheism. Please pick 2.
7. Japanese graphic books: a) anime b) manga
c) Geisha d) sushi.
8. Japan’s 250-year period of isolation from the outside world ended about 1954 when US Commodore Perry brought US warships into Tokyo Bay. T / F
9. African-American population in the US is about a) 6%
b) 13% c) 23% d) 30%.
10. Japan is not an archipelago even though it has much tectonic activity. T / F
1. F, 2. b, 3. b, 4. b, 5. c, 6. b & g, 7. b, 8. f, 9. b, 10. f
Nippon review -
1. During the colonial era in Europe, the nation of Japan was called a) Cathay b) Cipangu. Cathay
2. Japan has a heterogeneous population. T / F Japan has a homogeneous population.
3. Japan’s population is approximately half that of the US.
T / F At 130 million; yes.
4. Hayao Miyazaki is notable for the type of movies called __. anime
5. “Empty orchestra” is the meaning of a term coined by the Japanese in the 70’s when technology allowed creative manipulation of recorded works. It has since become a world-wide source of entertainment. It is __. karaoke
6. Most Japanese are able to integrate 2 types of religious practice into their lives: a) Buddhism b) Hinduism
c) Islam d) Christianity e) Judaism f) Shintoism
g) Confucianism h) Atheism. Buddhist and Shinto
7. In terms of altitude, Mt Fuji can be compared to the
a) Appalachians b) Rocky Mtns. Rockies
8. Some people, typically the ill-educated, may be said to be fearful of immigrants and other non-native ethnic types. They may be termed xenophobic. T / F true
9. Bamboo and paper, classic ingredients in Japanese art, may be used to make large, rectangular aero forms called __ . kites
10. Anime has been part of Japanese culture since 1917. In 1937 Japanese anime movie-makers were influenced by a Disney film called a) Snow White b) 101 Dalmatians
c) The Jungle Book. Snow White
11. Japanese greeting: a) Ni hau! b) Salaam! c) Namaste'!
d) Konnichi wa!