Sunday, December 09, 2007
Arabia and Islam review 1 احياء ليلة القدر في القدس
Arabia & Islam: Open notes test
1. The term “Middle East” is relative. More appropriate is the term a) Mid East b) Middle Eastern c) Southwest Asia.
2. The chief resource of this region is a stuff that the Romans would have called “rock oil,” or “oil from the rocks.” The modern equivalent to that term is a) gasoline b) petroleum c) crude oil d) motor oil.
3. Men and animals can survive the desert because there are oases where water and shade are available. Underneath the desert sands where an oasis exists you will find . . . a) desalination facility b) pumps c) aquifer d) water tanks.
4. The Muslim month of fasting is called a) hajj b) Ramadan c) zakat.
5. Fasting takes place from a) midnight to morn b) dawn to dusk c) 30 days d) breakfast to supper.
6. There are about a) 1 billion b) 6 billion c) 10 gigabytes d) a google of Muslims worldwide, according to the Time Almanac.
7. The only non-Muslim nation in SW Asia is a) Israel b) Egypt c) Kuwait d) Lebanon.
8. Pakistan, Bangladesh and Indonesia are also Muslim nations. T / F
9. Morocco, Algeria and Libya are Muslim nations. T / F
10. As a young trader Muhammad the prophet journeyed to a) Jerusalem b) Cairo c) Damascus d) Paris and became acquainted with the practices of Christians and Jews.
11. Muhammad’s revelations in the desert resulted in his recitation of the verses of the book called the a) Koran b) Torah c) Bible.
12. The leaders of Mecca opposed Muhammad’s teachings. He was preaching the doctrine of one god, or a) polytheism b) monotheism c) onegodism d) predestination and they had traditionally supported multiple gods.
13. Muslims belong to one sect, the Sunni, as opposed to Christians, who are divided between Protestants and Catholics.
T / F
14. Muslims are commanded not to consume two substances: ___, ____.
15. In the heart of the Great Mosque you will find a square stone building called the ___. Set into one corner of this structure is the sacred __ __.
16. The pilgrimage to Mecca is called the __. The commandment to make the pilgrimage once in your life is part of the ___ ___ ___ ___.
17. The Islamic calendar begins with Muhammad’s flight from Mecca to Medina. The flight is known as the __.
18. Essential to the practice of Islam is extending care to the needy. The traditional term for this is ___ ___.
19. The Islamic calendar is based on the phases of the ___; the Christian calendar is based on the movement of the ___.
20. The principal European nation occupied by Muslims was ___.
21. Europeans were technologically a) enriched b) impoverished by the influence of the Muslims in the late Medieval period.
22. In Louisiana we can see the influence of Muslim architecture as brought to the state by the colonial leaders from the nation of ___. The courtyards, fountains and balconies of the neighborhood known as the ___ ___ are examples of Muslim style.
23. Today the US is struggling with a strong anti-American spirit among Muslims across the world. One factor that aids their negative spirit is the Islamic mass media. An example: the __ ___ TV network is very influential in SW Asia.
24. Osama bin Laden was born and raised in the nation of __. Saddam Hussein was born and raised in __.
25. The 9-11 attacks were planned by a radical Muslim group known as __ ___. This group’s headquarters and training facilities were in the nation of ___.
26. Jihad is an Arabic word that means “Holy __.”
Answers to the Open notes quizzim ...
1. S W Asia
5. dawn, or sunrise / dusk, or sunset
6. 1 billion or 1.5 billion
10. Palestine, or Israel
11. Quaran, or Koran
12. monotheism / polytheism
14. alcohol / pork
15. Kaaba / Black stone
16. Hajj / 5 Pillars of Islam
18. alms giving, or Zakat
19. moon / sun
21. a) enriched
22. Spain / French Quarter
23. al Jazeera
24. Saudi Arabia / Iraq
25. al qaeda / Afghanistan
Place upon a hand-sketched map ...
6. Sinai Peninsula
7. West Bank
10. Dead Sea
11. R. Jordan
12. Sea of Galilee
14. Tel Aviv
16. Church of the Holy Sepulchre
17. Christian quarter
18. Via Dolorosa
19. Arab or Muslim Quarter
20. Dome of the Rock
21. Wailing Wall, or Western Wall
22. Jewish Quarter