Monday, April 10, 2006
The Gift of the Nile: Aegypticus
- Alexandria / Alexander the Great
* the library
- Cairo / Memphis was the city in this location during the Pharaonic era.
- Giza, home of the Great Pyramids.
- Luxor, once called Thebes, was the site of the gigantic Temple of Amun-Re.
- Red Sea (which is in no way reddish)
- Saudi Arabia
- Israel / Palestine
- Sinai peninsula
- the Nile, pronounced Nil (neel).
Egypt in the news -
* Gospel of Judas text found in Egypt in 1970. Announced by National Geographic this month.
- Coptic Egyptian language
- 300 AD
- found in an Egyptian cave.
* 9/11/2001: most of the attackers of the Pentagon and WTC were Egyptian-born. Osama is from Saudi Arabia, however.
Foreign aid from the US to Egypt has been deluxe. They are important allies in the Mid East regtion.
Most populous cities . . .
Most populous US cities . . .