Tuesday, October 31, 2006
Connections with India in our future
1) Pop. growth: will become more populous than China.
2) Migration to the US (brain drain); an increasing number of your classmates and neighbors will be of Indian background.
3) Outsourcing of jobs to India. See Microsoft office in Hyderabad, above. Dell also has a large division in India, says the NYT.
4) US international politics - we need a stronger relationship with India to balance our influence in South Asia.
5) Yoga is growing in influence as Americans try to cope with stress and fitness issues.
In the 1960's and 70's the Beatles and Led Zeppelin visited India and drew the world's attention to the gurus and sitar music. The Nehru jacket became popular. So did Indian sandals, kurtas, jewelry and statues of Hindu gods. Jimi Hendrix' 2nd album used Hindu gods on the album cover. Ravi Shankar, sitarist, became widely known.