Thursday, October 12, 2006
Dr Jana DeBenedetti blows the Jewish shofar at cmhs
In my notes:
Dr Jana DeBenedetti, 10-11
- Jewish symbol: 7 branched menorah / 8 plus 1 is the Hannuka menorah.
- Torah: 5 books mnemonic: “General Electric lights never dim.”
- Jewish congregations
Orthodox - strict observance of the ancient laws. Ex: Hassidim.
Conservative - moderate strictness.
Reform (liberal; most American Jews are Reform and do not follow kosher or attend the synagogue regularly).
Similarities between Arabic and Hebrew (ancient communication written w hammer & chisel, right to left)
- right to left
- no vowels
- similar sounds (shalom, salaam).
Sims between Islam and Judaism -
- dietary guidelines
*bar (“son of”) mitzvah (“commandment”) or bat (“daughter”) mitzvah
- yarmulke, aka kippa
Kosher review -
- the word Unclean does not mean “dirty,” but means “taboo.”
- acceptable animals: chew their cud and have cloven hooves.
- slaughter must be by knife, followed by draining of blood and packing in salt (kosher salt - large flakes).
- not OK: pork, horse, cat, dog.
- no predator fowl.
- fish must have fins, scales (no catfish).
- no shellfish (oysters, clams, mussels)
- no crustaceans (crawfish, lobster, shrimp)
- separate dairy and meat in kitchen prep and in meals.
BC has another name: BCE - Before Common Era
AD also has another name: CE - Common Era, aka Anno Domini (year of our Lord)
3 different calendars: Jewish, Christian, Muslim.
Klezmer music - jazzy Jewish pop.