Sunday, December 17, 2006
October test / Israel & Arabia with answers
I s r a e l & A r a b i a / T r u d e a u
1. In Jerusalem this landmark lies south of the Church of the Holy Sepulcher and the Dome of the Rock as well as between them. a) Western Wall b) Via Dolorosa c) Citadel d) Damascus Gate.
2. He is thought of as the man who bridges the monotheistic religions: a) Jesus of Nazareth b) Abraham c) Prophet Muhammad d) King David.
3. This man is believed to have ascended into heaven from Jerusalem. a) Jesus of Nazareth b) Abraham c) Prophet Muhammad d) King David.
4. Unlike many of the world’s notable cities, Jerusalem is not located on a river. Over the centuries traders have had to depend on the city’s harbors on the Mediterranean Sea. T / F
5. Jerusalem is a city in which people observe _ sabbaths. a) 2 b) 3 c) 4 d) 5.
6. This region has been visited by the Holy Family, Lawrence of Arabia, Moses and numerous bandits: a) Negev Desert b) West Bank c) Nafud Desert d) Sinai Peninsula.
7. Syrup-soaked Middle Eastern pastry that is made from paper-thin sheets of phyllo dough and chopped nuts. a) Baklava b) Pita c) Hummus d) Tzatziki.
8. In Lawrence of Arabia the character Col. Brighton states why he thinks Great Britain is a great nation, though small in land, population and resources. It was a) Navy b) high-quality guns
c) brain power d) discipline.
9. In the desert the nomads make villages in dry canyons surrounded by rock walls. These places are called a) oases b) wadis c) dunes d) aquifers.
10. A permissible Jewish occupation in a Christian city:
a) usury b) slave trading c) scapegoat d) debtors.
11. Which of these sites is not a source but considered a portal, or entryway, into a world of sites referring to a particular topic? a) Yahoo.com b) Infoplease.com c) CIA.gov
12. An exodus is similar to emigration, which is the same as a) dispersal b) immigration c) retribution d) extrication.
13. The pre-1948 name for today’s Israel: a) Palestine b) Lebanon c) Zion d) Ottoman Empire.
14. In chronological order: a) Judaism, Islam, Christianity
b) Christianity, Islam, Judaism c) Islam, Christianity, Judaism
d) Judaism, Christianity, Islam.
15. The Islamic feast of Rosh Hashanah is known as their New Year, or "head of the year," according to Wikipedia.org. No work may be done on Rosh Hashanah. T / F
16. What language has Lawrence learned, in addition to his mother tongue and French? a) Greek b) Arabic c) Hebrew d) Egyptian.
17. In Arabia there is a conflict between the tribal Bedouin peoples and the Turks. Their empire, which includes Arabia, is called the __ Empire.
a) Prussian b) Turkic c) Ottoman d) Egyptian.
18. In 1915 the top British priority in the Mid East was protection of a waterway important to their shipping and movement of warships.
a) Suez Canal b) Red Sea c) Arabian Sea d) Persian Gulf.
19. In the early 1900’s the city at the center of Islamic art, business and scholarship was not Mecca, nor Cairo. It was the capital of Syria. a) Damascus b) Beirut c) Medina d) Tel Aviv.
20. In the early phase of the movie Lawrence of Arabia the hero, TE Lawrence, resides in 3 nations. a) England, Egypt, Saudi Arabia b) England, Syria, Saudi Arabia c) England, Saudi Arabia, Israel d) England, Saudi Arabia, Iraq.
Israel & Arabia test / Trudeau / Answeroonies
1. a Western Wall
2. b Abraham
3. c Prophet Muhammad
5. b 3
6. d Sinai
7. a Baklava
8. d discipline
9. d wadis
10. a usury
11. a Yahoo
12. a dispersal
13. a Palestine
14. d J, C, I
16. b Arabic
17. c Ottoman
18. a Suez canal
19. a Damascus
20. a E, E, SA