Monday, February 06, 2006
The award-winning movie Gandhi endures as a great biography
colored / non-whites were referred to by the turn-of-the-century British as "colored" or even "black."
children of god
defiance of injustice
Map showing trade routes connecting India and East Africa. Both the nations of India and South Africa were British colonies.
Progress reports will be issued to my students by Wed. Sorry for the delay.
See more on the Mahatma at Gandhi. His keys to social action were to use
* the British courts and law.
* the press
* Christian principles (though a Hindu, Gandhi was well read in the Koran and Bible)
In this movie one of my pleasures is watching the many varieties of beautifully-tied turbans.
* Hindu Kush / the major range on the Pakistani side of India. Is this where Osama hides?
* plate tectonics / continental drift / collision of earth's plates results in the continental uplift called the Himalayas and Hindu Kush.
* Why so many languages across India? There are 20 major languages, each reflecting a region.