Tuesday, April 15, 2008
Notes from the Roman Empire
- Roman arches / keystone
- Roman slaves: neighboring peoples such as the Greeks; functiuoned as labor, teachers, artisans, even shokeepers.
- con crete is a Roman development. rocks, water and ground limstone. They often laid concrete over a brick framework.
- insulae ("islands"): apartment buildings.
- Ostia, a port city near Rome (Ostia: "east")
- Thermae, or public baths.
- caldarium, tepidarium, frigidarium.
- calisthenics, news, library, lunch, massage, laundry, scrubdown, business center fot the affluent.
- Patricians: high-born or wealthy.
- Plebians - working class.
- scatology - archaeological scientists often date and explore historic finds by examining the excrement.