Tuesday, February 20, 2007
Ash Wednesday Quiz: all about Carnival and Lent
1. W Af: Senegal, Guinea, Liberia, etc etc
2. bons - good
3. rouler - to roll
4. laissez - to let
5. temps - times
6. gras - fat
7. 12th Night - begins Carnival in La. aka Epiphany.
8. Dionysian - Greek revels
9. Lupercalia - Roman rituals
10. carne - meat / vale - goodbye Latin
11. Lent - Christian; 40 days fasting & abstinence
12. Original Carnival nations: Italy, Germany, France, Spain, Portugal.
13. Medieval times: first mention of Carnival
14. Riotous: throwing bricks, desecrating churches
15. Shrive: forgive your sins
16. Endymion is a female krewe.
17. Parades helped the city move away from anarchy.
18. Carnival origins: Venice, Rome
19. 1st NO krewe: Comus
20. Mobile, AL
21. Alabama: New Years celebration / Cowbellian de rakin Society
NO: Fat Tuesday / Comus
22. Pioneers: dancing!
23. Congo Square: back of the city of NO.
24. Congo Sq: dancing, singing every Sunday.
25. 2nd oldest: Rex.
26. Rex: doubloons, colors, holiday.
27. Rex: "king" Latin
28. a) Comus b) Rex c) Zulu
30. MCMCXXXXV: 1995
31. MG Indians: "two way pocky way"
33. jazz originates in 1890's.
34. Jazz originates in brass bands.
35. Boeuf gras: Fat beef cow.
36. flambeaux: torches.
37. Louis Satchmo Armstrong: "Red beans ..."
38. Costuming: opposite of who you are.
39. Acadiennes: 100 years in Nova Scotia.
40. Acadians - people from a region called Acadia.
41. Courir de Mardi Gras: cajuns.
42. bals de Maison: house party.
43. Zydeco: blues plus French folk music.
44. Creoles created both zydeco as well as Cajun music.
* "From dust you came; to dust you shall return." Ash Wed.
* Nouvelle Orleans: French / New Orleans
* stevedore: dock worker
* Lundi Gras: fat Monday
* picayune: something of tiny value, like a penny; Spanish coin.
* Nola.com (New Orleans LA): Times-Picayune (daily newspaper) site
* improvisation - making it up as you go along;spontaneous activity.
Like a comedian responding to the audience at the Improv Club.