Thursday, February 15, 2007
Background on the New Orleans and global Carnival celebrations
How to Mardi Gras / Trudeau / 10 pt. activity
Answers to be found in classroom set of How To Mardi Gras. Quiz on this material on Ash Wednesday. Briefly identify the following:
1. West African
7. Twelfth Night
8. Dionysian celebration
10. a) Carne: ___ b) vale: ___
12. First 5 nations associated with carnival
13. First historic era in which Carnevale is written about.
14. Examples (2) of riotous behavior.
15. Shrove Tuesday.
16. Female krewe.
17. Why were parades instututed in New Orleans about 1857?
18. 2 locations for the origin of carnival customs.
19. First krewe of Louisiana.
20. Alabama location with considerable influence on New Orleans (NO) Carnival?
21. 2 differences between Alabama and NO celebrations.
22. Primary public pleasure of the pioneer days?
23. The location of Congo Square?
24. Activities by slaves in Congo Square? Frequency?
25. The second oldest krewe?
26. 3 customs established by Rex.
27. Etymology of “Rex.”
28. Make a timeline of Comus, Rex and Zulu.
29. Cheap coin “throw”?
30. When was How To Mardi Gras published?
31. What organization is brought to mind by “two-way pocky way!”?
32. Blanc et Noir Marching Society will hire what sort of band for the Krewe of Highland parade?
33. When did jazz music begin?
34. In what kinds of bands did jazz begin?
35. Explain the meaning of the boeuf gras.
36. What are the flambeaux?
37. A famous Louisianian signed his letters, “Red beans and ricely yours,” His name and nickname?
38. What is one of the themes of New Orleans costuming?
39. How long did French immigrants live in Nova Scotia before a journey that would take them to Louisiana?
40. Why are they called Acadians, or Cajuns?
41. What is the name for the Cajun Mardi Gras?
42. Another name for a Cajun house party?
43. What 2 types of music mingle in Zydeco?
44. What ethnic group created zydeco?
45. Make a small map featuring Europe, South America, Central America and North America. List nations in which we see a significant carnival celebration.
Independent work -
Write an essay in which incidents are descriibed in a comparison of the Lost Boys of Sudan characters Peter and Santino,