Sunday, August 16, 2009

Personal computer classroom policy


Karshayla and her laptop
Originally uploaded by trudeau
While the class will frequently visit the computer lab and library, I see value in independent use of personal computers in the classroom.

Personal computers are a difficult item at school. While some students have the discipline to stay on task, it is tantalizingly easy to slip away from the instructional activities. It's my goal to help students integrate the personal unit into class in a productive mode. To do that I have to be able to monitor student use. Sadly, if I cannot easily see the screen then I must ask the student to forego use of the unit.

Acceptable use -
* Taking typed notes.
* Researching definitions of geo class terms.
* Googling items discussed in class for additional background and the latest news.

Non-acceptable use -
* visiting sites other than those germane to the work above.
* recording audio or video of classroom activities unless permission is requested and granted - on a per-activity basis.
* students will not be allowed to use personal units on Open Notes Quizzes.

Accountability -
* I will check each student's screen on a regular basis. Students will at all times orient toward the teacher so that I can quickly review it.
* I will ask all students for a closer look at their screen on a random basis.
* Finding a student on a non-relevant site will result in a one-week hiatus from using the unit in class.
* Repeated violations of the policy will result in a long-term ban on classroom use.