Sunday, August 30, 2009
Water giveth, water taketh away: week of Aug 31 to Sept 4
* How do we secure an adequate supply of drinking water? You may be aware that much of the world continues to be hampered by a crippling lack of virus-free water.
* How do we balance environmental concerns, such as the negative impact of building a dam, with the public's need for affordable water?
* How do we address global warming trends and the growing effect on water supply and on water levels?
This week's issues -
a) Louisiana's alarming loss of coastal wetlands.
b) The lessons learned about water in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.
c) Water is wealth: Gulf coast estuaries.
d) Water, the hidden factor in the excitement over the Haynesville Shale natural gas deposits.
* Hand-sketched map quiz on the Great Lakes and the New York state region. Label and sketch 13 items: 5 lakes, 6 states, 1 ocean, 1 neighboring nation. Total 16 pts.
* Open notes multiple choice quiz based on web site notes. 12 questions. 12 pts.