Thursday, September 24, 2009
It's the Hard-knock Life - For Us / a quiz on NYC
a) Shreveport is part of the Bible Belt b) population c) Millenium Moon mural d) foods.
2. The run-down Manhattan neighborhood in which many poor immigrants (notably East European Jews, Italians and Chinese) got their start is the a) Upper West Side b) the Midtown area
c) the Lower East Side d) SoHo.
3. Four of the boroughs are located on islands. Name the two that share space on one island. a) Bronx, Queens
b) Brooklyn, Queens c) Queens, Long Island d) Brooklyn, Long Island.
4. In NY harbor are famous islands such as Liberty Island, Governor's Island and one small island which was a center for immigration: a) Ellis Is. b) Rikers Is. c) Hudson Is. d) Roosevelt Is.
5. The European explorer given credit for first examining NY harbor was a) Peter Minuit b) Giovanni Verrazzano c) Henry Hudson d) Duke of York.
6. The earliest site of European settlement in NYC is at the __ tip of Manhattan. a) Southern b) Northern c) Eastern d) Western.
7. Major university associated with Manhattan: a) Harvard b) Stanford c) Columbia d) Yale.
8. When you see landmarks such as Rodeo Drive, Venice Boardwalk and Arnold Schwarzenegger you know the topic is a) Chicago b) NYC c) Los Angeles.
9. Dutch governor of the NY colony who famously bargained with the Algonquian peoples:
a) Peter Stuyvesant b) Henry Hudson c) John Peter Zenger d) Peter Minuit.
10. Influential, wealthy part of Manhattan: a) Upper East Side b) Lower East Side c) Little Italy
11. Name the ethnic group that was welcomed by immigration laws in the mid 1800's and excluded from immigration by changes in the laws in the late 1800's. a) Chinese b) Jews c) Italians d) Africans.