Monday, October 24, 2005
Church of the Holy Sepulchre: Christian shrine of crucifixion in Jerusalem
About 300 AD the church was built over Calvary, site of Jesus' crucifixion and burial.
"Sepulchre" means tomb.
The Old City of Jerusalem, the ancient trading crossroads, has several sites for our study:
* Via Dolorosa, the street trod by Jesus with cross on his way to hid execution.
* Church of the Holy Sepulchre.
* Dome of the Rock.
* Western Wall of Herod's Temple. Known as the Wailing Wall because Jews often cry or sing when they arrive at the wall on pilgrimages.
* Historic walls (40 ft high) and gates, narrow streets, ancient housing and historic gates, such as the Damascus Gate.
* Armenian Quarter, Arab Quarter, Jewish Quarter, Christian Quarter.
Pandemic means epidemic but pandemic is more frequently used today.
Epidemiology- the study of the spread of diseases.