Monday, October 31, 2005
Middle Eastern tradition: waterpipe called a shisha or hookah
Above, a traveler's photo of a hookah room in Luxor, Egypt. Smoking a shisha is an after-meal or tea-time custom in much of the Mid East.
* Hand-drawn map of Israel and neighbors.
* Mult-choice on Osama bin Laden.
* Halloween: Celtic, Druid customs as observed among the ancient Irish.
* Dia de los Muertos, Mexico's "Day of the Dead."
* arabesque: mtifs in art as created by Arabic artists. Mostly they are
- vine-like, flowing
* faux: "false"
* faux pas: social blunder.