Friday, October 14, 2005
Medieval Times: the extent of the Islamic empire
Students must know the extent of this map, which they sketched 10/14.
Symbols on the map were the sword-wielding warrior on camel or Arabian horse. The most significant region of their conquest was southern Europe: Espana. Muslim soldiers crossed the Strait of Gibraltar in 711 AD.
Classroom project to be completed at home and ready Mon, Oct 17:
Annotated timeline of the Monotheist religions of SW Asia
* Judaism, Christinaity, Islam
* Include symbols (menorah, crescent moon & star, cross & orb) and color.
* Brief notes, such as the 5 Pillars of Islam.
* Brief map of the Med - Persian Gulf region.
Bonus credit suggestions:
* Detailed thank you email note to Islamic guest speakers . . .
Nadine / email@example.com
Dana / firstname.lastname@example.org
Fatima / email@example.com
Ahmad / firstname.lastname@example.org
Your points will come from telling them specifically what you learned from them.
* Research and compare the planning and execution of the Erie Canal with the advent of Islam and the creation of an Islamic empire.