Monday, October 17, 2005
Point sheets out Mon, Oct 17, in advance of report cards
Th, Oct 20:
* Hand-sketched map quiz on SW Asia, Istanbul to Tehran.
* Multiple-choice, open notes quiz mostly on Islam.
* the Great Mosque of Mecca:
- towering minarets, open interior.
- room for some 10,000 worshippers.
- the Kaaba is the cube-shaped building in the mosque that is the center of worship. The Kaaba is covered with a black silk drape. Silver and gold threads are used in the drape's calligraphy.
- in one corner of the Kaaba is the silver-encased Black Stone. It is a symbol for God's connection with the Arabian peoples.
- Non-Muslims are forbidden to enter the holy city.
- the Great Mosque is the center of the annual hajj, the pilgrimage to celebrate Islam and the life of Muhammad.
* gamal: Hebrew & Arabic for camel.
* jebel: mountain.
* wadi: dry canyon.
* aquifer: underground water deposit. Aquifers enable us to dig wells in the middle of a desert.