Friday, September 03, 2010

Because of the British Empire, we look for this sign when traveling in almost any nation

WC sign
Originally uploaded by sela-v
Water Closet, as a word for restroom, was a term spread across the globe during the time of the British Empire (1600's - 1900's).

Signage in places such as train stations, parks and hotels is usually abbreviated to WC.

You'll see signs for the WC on every continent and even in nations that were not technically owned by the British.

It's a term even used in some classes at Magnet.