Wednesday, September 22, 2010
Getting to know the Pacific rim: California quiz
1) Napa Valley is associated with the art and science of making wine - something at which California excels. Wine-making is called a) vino
b) vineyard c) viticulture d) vintners .
2) Birth of the Fender Telecaster and Precision bass: a) Los Angeles
b) Sacramento c) Palo Alto d) San Diego.
3) Founded by a duo; functions as a triumvirate: a) Google b) Microsoft c) Apple d) US government.
4) Position of the island called Alcatraz relative to the Golden Gate:
a) East b) West c) North c) South.
5) With Stanford University, Google and UC Berkeley in the region, the main industry of Silicon Valley is higher education. T / F
6) Pacific Rim location is an advantage for the Port of Los Angeles because cargo can come directly from __ to the US. a) India b) Britain
c) Brazil d) China.
7) Affluent area: a) San Francisco b) Anaheim c) Oakland d) Malibu.
8) “We live in a litigious society.” In other words, a society that is
a) entrepreneurial b) prone to spraining ligaments c) suit prone
9) Stanford students Sergey Brin and Larry Page collaborated on the creation of a) Yahoo b) Google c) Apple d) the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
10) Los Angeles is found at about 34N latitude, 118W longitude. If you had a gigantic tunnel-machine capable of drilling through the core of the earth, you could start at LA and come out, on the other side of the globe, near Beijing. T / F
11) T / F Vietnam and Tibet border China.
12) Cheap labor and highly-educated workers are abundant in the nations of China and __. a) South Korea b) Somalia c) Britain.
13) The area to be known as Silicon Valley was initiated into the high tech world by a) the Navy Research center b) NASA’s aeronautics research c) a venture capital arrangement by a Stanford professor.
14) Not a part of Silicon Valley: a) Mountain View b) Cupertino c) Palo Alto d) Oakland.
15) The Pirates of the Caribbean movies made extensive use of computer-generated images (CGI). Based on our recent studies, we can assume much of the work for those movies was done in a) San Francisco b) Los Angeles c) San Diego d) New Orleans.
16) Hewlett-Packard, an early American high tech company, was founded in a) 1939 b) 1959 c) 1979.
17) In the 1970s and 1980s, ____'s Palo Alto Research Center (PARC) played a pivotal role in object-oriented programming, graphical user interfaces (GUIs), Ethernet, PostScript, and laser printers.
a) Apple b) IBM c) Xerox d) Microsoft.
18) The Sierra Nevada mountains are part of the Rocky Mountains. T / F
19) In California’s southeasternmost region is a large empty quarter. No mountains, no municipalities. That area must be a) the Mojave b) Death Valley c) Nevada d) San Joaquin Valley.
20) According to the Silicon Valley article in Wikipedia.org, the following organizations are headquartered there: eBay, Dreamworks Animation & TiVo. T / F