Monday, March 26, 2007
Viva l'italia: notes on a grand nation
Amerigo Vespucci: trader, explorer, cartographer. "In 1507, Martin Waldseemüller produced a world map on which he named the new continent "America" after Vespucci's first name, Amerigo." Wikipedia
1. Milano (symbol: Milano cookie)
2. Venezia (the gondola called a vaporetto)
3. Firenze (Florence): the Ponte Vecchio or a guitar w a Florentine cutaway.
4. Roma: the Roman Forum, the place where men argued the issues.
5. Vatican City: il Pape.
6. Napoli (Naples): the home of pizza.
7. Sicily: home of the Cosa Nostra.
8. Sardinia: the sardine.
9. Tunisia: Carthaginian general Hannibal atop an elephant.
10. Med: the amphora.
* bicycle racing (manufacturers)
* motorcycle racing (Ducati, Benelli, Moto Guzzi)
* boat racing - cigarette-type boats, sailing yachts
* auto racing (Maserati, Ferrari, Alfa Romeo, etc)