Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Attribution and documentation, a way of life

Attribution means giving credit where it's due and documentation means giving proof of your statement. Both represent a way of life for the educated class.

When you write a paper and offer your source, you are offering attribution or documenting your work. You may also do it in your presentations and discussions. Not "I heard it through the grapevine," but "I heard it on CBS news."

"I heard it on NPR, National Public Radio."

"According to the textbook, World Geography!"
"World Book is my source."
"Says so at Wikipedia.org."
"According to Mr. Trudeau, my geography teacher."
"Or so says the mayor, Cedric Glover."

Try to avoid this one: "I heard it on SpongeBob Squarepants."
But I'll accept "According to Homer Simpson," because the author, Matt Groening, is so well educated.

No comments: