Monday, August 21, 2006
From Ephraim Goldberg to Frank Gehry to stardom
Frank Gehry (Ephraim Goldberg): 1929, Toronto
- sculptural design
- Guggenheim Museum, Bilbao, Spain
- age 17: California
- USC School of Architecture
- Prof at Columbia (NYC) & Yale (New Haven, Conn)
- deconstructivist school of modernist architecture.
- inspired by Finnish architect, Alvar Aalto.
- buildings become tourist attractions.
- EMP (Experience Music Project), Seattle
- Gehry's critics: disregard for harmony, trademark shapes overused, impracticality of his designs.
- architectural criticism was harsh on the Eiffel Tower, late 1800’s.
- developed 3D CAD tools
- designed watch, jewelry, furniture.
- 2006 movie: Sketches of Frank Gehry