Monday, August 28, 2006
Shrinking city: a brief editorial
Spt is losing population (down to 192,000 from a year 2000 high of 200,000), mostly among the young, according to demographer Elliot Stonecipher.
1. Few jobs.
2. Ineffective political leadership
1. Small university enrollment:
Small numbers in higher education may equal limited community brainpower.
2. Attractive jobs are available in the nearby state of Texas.
3. Significant portion of the population remains in poverty and, thereby, largely resistant to education.
What are your thoughts?
1. Put a community-wide emphasis on support for the university and colleges and for the more demanding high school programs.
2. Enhance the technical schools status and faculties.